|By Bob Gourley||
|February 28, 2017 08:00 PM EST||
There are seven key megatrends driving the future of enterprise IT. You can remember them all with the helpful mnemonic acronym CAMBRIC, which stands for Cloud Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Mobility, Big Data, Robotics, Internet of Things, CyberSecurity.
In this post we dive deeper into Artificial Intelligence.
Artificial Intelligence is the discipline of thinking machines. The field is growing dramatically with the proliferation of high powered computers into homes and businesses and especially with the growing power of smartphones and other mobile devices. Artificial intelligence software is assisting people in most every discipline. The many functions of AI are considered by many to be threatening many human jobs across multiple industries, but others consider it a great producer of jobs since it will help create entirely new industries and free more humans to innovate and create.
A snapshot of the trend right now indicates:
- With business models returning profit now, all indications are AI will continue to improve.
- AI and Machine Learning and Cognitive Computing are being coupled with incredibly low cost cloud computing
- No accepted protocol for security in AI. This is a huge negative.
- Creators use a “generate and test” approach to creating functionality.
- AI seems easier to deceive than current computer software.
Open questions decision-makers should track include:
- Will job displacement be a crisis?
- Will companies use AI for good?
- Will there ever be a widely-accepted security framework for AI?
- Can behavioral analytics enhance security?
Books we appreciated for context around Artificial Intelligence include:
- The Fourth Transformation: How Augmented Reality & Artificial Intelligence Will Change Everything
- The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future
- The Industries of the Future
- The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and Prosperity in a Time of Brilliant Technologies
- Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future
For deeper considerations of the impact of Artificial Intelligence on enterprise IT it is important to track all seven MegaTrends and consider them together. Dive deeper into all the trends and examine their impact on your organization via a CTOvision Pro membership, available for enterprises and individuals.
You can launch your examination of the MegaTrends through the categories menu at CTOvision, or directly via these links: Cloud Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Mobility, Big Data, Robotics, Internet of Things, CyberSecurity.